Morocco was absolutely amazing. From the Atlas Mountains, the breathtaking Sahara Desert, to the coastal town of Essaouira. Every moment of our 12 day trip will forever be ingrained in my mind.
![]() |
| We drove a total of 1,300 miles. |
DAY 1 - Marrakesh "Red City"
We arrived at the Marrakesh-Menara Airport at night after a short flight from Madrid. We had a quick talk with Corbin Bernsen while waiting for our bags, pretty cool guy by the way.
Marrakesh has an old fortified city, called medina, and an modern city, Gueliz. On our first day we stayed in the medina, at the beautiful Les Jardins de la Koutoubia.
The hotel was located a couple of blocks away from the largest traditional market in Morocco, the magnificent Koutoubia mosque, and the busy square of Djemaa el Fna. We went for a stroll after dinner and walking into the square we could see the smoke, and thousand lights. There were acrobats, story-tellers, water sellers, snake charmers, musicians, and food stalls that looked like a huge busy open-air restaurant.
DAY 2 - Atlas mountains
We drove out of Marrakesh, up the Atlas Mountains where the road snakes along precipitous cliffs. After a couple of hours on the road and so many curves i started feeling sick, too many turns for my weak stomach, I thought.
The views from the mountains were incredible.
On our drive we passed by Ourzazate city, were we visited Kasbah of Taourirt, I wish I could say I remember everything about it and could describe it for you, but I can't. While Paul enjoyed the tour of the kasbah, I was visiting their bathrooms, yes I admit it, I got the tourist bug.
After 6 hours on the road we arrived to Camp Oasis. It is located between two palm groves in the valley of Oued Izerki, halfway between the oasis of Skoura and Ouarzazate.
The camp is welcoming, with carpets, low lighting, excellent food and great service. The experience of the desert with the full comfort of a luxury hotel.


I've never traveled like that, from one place to another. I usually go to a certain city and stay there.
ReplyDeleteI bet it's fascinating to do such a journey, but isn't it tiring?
I found it to be the best way to experience a country. You get to see the tourist attractions plus you get to learn the real day to day of the locals. Tiring but well worth it
ReplyDelete